By Willow & Stephanie - POSTED ON 05 September 2012
Start the fall season on a healthy note by making a commitment to pack a balanced lunch at least four out of five weekdays. These five easy options will not only help you keep tabs on your calories, but theyʼll keep your energy levels up all afternoon long.
1. Salmon salad wrap: Fill 1 whole wheat tortilla with a mixture of 1, 5-ounce can Bumble Bee® Skinless and Boneless Pink Salmon, 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon nonfat plain yogurt, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1/4 cup chopped celery, 1/4 cup shredded carrots, and pepper to taste. Add 1/2 cup chopped romaine lettuce and 1/4 cup chopped tomato. Serve with a side of 1 cup cooked (in-shell) edamame.
2. Fruit and nut butter sandwich with a side of cinnamon honey yogurt: Spread one whole wheat wrap with 1 1/2 tablespoons of natural nut butter like almond or peanut butter. Then, layer 3/4 cup of mixed fruit like thinly sliced apples, pears, or bananas on top. Roll up and eat with a cup of non-fat plain Greek-style yogurt mixed with 1 teaspoon of honey, and cinnamon to taste.
3. Egg salad in lettuce cups: Combine 1 hard cooked egg and 2 hard cooked egg whites (roughly chopped with a fork) with 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon non-fat Greek style plain yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard, 1/3 cup chopped red pepper, 1/4 cup chopped celery. Fill two washed whole Romaine lettuce leaves (bottoms chopped off) with the egg salad mixture. Serve with 1 ounce of whole grain crackers.
4. Mediterranean tuna salad w/garbanzo beans over greens: Mix 1, 5-ounce can Bumble Bee Sensations® Seasoned Tuna Medley Lemon & Cracked Pepper - with 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion, 1/3 cup garbanzo beans, 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped kalamata olives, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1/4 cup chopped celery, and black pepper to taste. Serve with 1/2 of a large whole wheat pita.
5. Black bean veggie and rice bowl: In a microwave safe container combine 1 cup microwavable brown rice (already cooked), 1/2 cup black beans, 1 cup broccoli florets, and 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil, a pinch salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic powder to taste. Heat 1-2 minutes in the microwave before eating. Top with hot red pepper sauce to taste.
Be green tip: Don’t forget to invest in a reusable lunch bag to cut back on your carbon footprint! Choose one that can accommodate an ice pack if necessary – you’ll save on the cost of paper bags and it’ll be easier to neatly carry all the components of your lunch together.
What are some of your favorite healthy packable lunches?
With your email